In my world an amazing Gyro is like the power meal I wish I could eat daily. Did you know that it’s actually pronounced “Year•Oh“ ?? This recipe is one of the most fun recipes I’ve ever made! This summer I’m leaning into the sauces! This will be a Saucy Girl summer 🔥🤤 Lit… lit.
Fresh Herbs and spices are the star in this recipe! Aromatic herbs such as dill & oregano. Spices like cinnamon & cumin make an amazing marinade for this jackfruit chicken filling.
JACKFRUIT Chik’n (for best flavour, marinade overnight)
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 medium red onion, finely diced
• 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
• 1/8 tsp ground cloves
• ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp dry oregan
• ½ tsp chilli power
• 2 tbsp tomato paste
• 2 cans of Jackfruit (Green)
• 4 tbsp soy sauce
• 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
• ¼ tsp white pepper
• 2 tbsp chicken•less seasoning
• 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Let’s Measure in Melanin
1. Drain the jackfruit. Squeeze excess water off and separate with your hands. Chop the firm end pieces into the mixture.
3. Heat up olive oil in a medium pan I use my Always Pan. Add diced red onion sauté until softened, translucent and lightly carmelized. Add chopped garlic and sauté until soft and fragrant.
5. Add majority of the spices: cloves, cinnamon,chicken•less seasoning ,cumin, and oregano to the sautéed onions and garlic.
6. Mix in the tomato paste.
8. Now add in the prepared jackfruit along with soy sauce, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Mix everything extremely well. Last add the white pepper and some salt to taste. Simmer the mixture for another 10-15 minutes and then allow it to cool down. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet in the fridge overnight to intensify the flavour. ( Do Not Skip)
9. Just before you are ready to assemble your gyros, set the oven to Broil (Hi). Cook for about 20-25 minutes, until a little caramelized and browned around the edges.
Assembling the gyros is super easy! Just add in tomato wedges, fresh cucumbers, red onion, fresh dill, lettuce, and lots of plant-Based Tzatziki sauce. I used warmed pitas 🥙
I hope you enjoy this yummy recipe! It’s definitely a must try.